Saturday, February 12, 2011

Prenatal Cradle

So I went to the baby Dr. on Thursday. She asked how I was feeling and I told her about the pains that have started in my abdomen, hips, etc. I figured they were all normal but wanted to check. She told me they were normal but since I'm petite and having them already, I might want to look into getting a prenatal cradle (pictured at right). This contraption supposedly supports you so much that it alleviates many pains. She seemed sort of amused when she said she couldn't wait to hear what I thought of it. (I'm almost sure she meant this as a compliment--she seems to adore my sarcasm and commentary and questions re: everything related to pregnancy.) She thinks I'm smart. She said so, when I asked her if I was taking enough DHA for baby's brain development. I think she's smart too. I picked her because she did her undergrad at Brown--the progressive ivy. Yep, I'm an education snob. I've been secretly wanting to ask her this whole time where her parents went to school. But I think if I found out she was a legacy at Brown, I'd be disappointed.

I'm kidding! Well, mostly. I do really like her though. She answers (all!) of my questions and she gives me a lot of extra information and she seems to have a balanced and reasonable take on all of the pregnancy "rules." (except she told Michael that I really SHOULDN'T sleep on my back, even if reclined, which I will not forgive her for.)

Anyway, so I looked up the prenatal cradle. Hahahahahaha. Who designed that thing? It looks significantly harder to get into than a criss-cross bathing suit (which has always given me trouble and prompted a firm rule against buying clothes I can't put on without assistance.) And, um, I can't imagine the front criss-cross would work very well with my new size HUGE boobs. But all of that aside...it doesn't look very...subtle. I mean, there's no hiding that thing under your clothes! (Though I guess it would distract from my visible belly button ring.)

I'm sorry to say that the baby dr. will have to wait to hear how the prenatal cradle and I got along. I think I'll save it for a last resort if things get a lot worse later in the pregnancy! (Though this current coughing epidemic is making me reconsider...I keep trying to use my hands to support my belly and other painful places so as not to shake baby too much.)

Anyone else out there tried one of these contraptions??

No comments: