Thursday, January 20, 2011

A practice in positivity

Today hasn't been the best day. At lunch, I ate a huge bowl of thai leftovers, which was delicious. Then I had one bite that tasted funny and immediately threw up everything I ate today. A lot. I guess something disagreed with my pregnant self. Then I had to rush back to work to give an interview. Awesome.

We were supposed to be headed to Florida early tomorrow morning to visit my parents, and we were REALLY excited to get out of town. Partly because life has been just a little stressful and busy lately, but mostly because we really miss them. And maybe a little because Michael is going through fishing withdrawal right now.

So I freaked out this afternoon when I went to check in for my flight and the reservation said we weren't flying out until Saturday. What?!

Turns out they had already decided to cancel the flight tomorrow morning and just rebooked us for a day later...without telling us. Awesome. I called and they agreed to put us on a later flight tomorrow morning.

But then that one got canceled.

To skip to the end of the story, we couldn't fly out until Saturday and since we were coming back Sunday that just didn't seem worth it. Luckily, we were able to get a full refund and cancel the hotel and rental car without penalty.

Nonetheless, I'm feeling pretty sad and grumpy and irritable. So I guess it's a good time to practice that positivity I was talking about. Here goes.

I'm grateful that:

  • The maintenance crew figured out how to turn the boiler up so we get hot showers again!
  • I had a really good interview this morning
  • We found out our flights got cancelled before we got up early and rushed to pack and get to the airport
  • And we got a refund
  • And we *might* be able to reschedule
  • the girls in the dorm got the head of school to help them form the name of our dorm with their bodies. For the scavenger hunt. =)
  • I guess now we have a free weekend in which to get caught up on housework and laundry and maybe even some reading and fun
  • Maybe we'll have a snow day tomorrow, in which case I can stay home without using the personal day I was going to use up
  • I also won't have to waste the 1.5 lbs of blueberries in my fridge that were probably going to go bad before I got back and got a chance to eat them.
  • There's a really yummy strawberry shortcake dessert with my name on it
  • Michael's going to let me go to bed early after doing the 10:00 check ins.
You know, I actually do feel a little better right now. Crazy, huh?

2 comments:

rebecca said...

just look at that positivity! the scavenger hunt sounds AWESOME! and i love good blueberries. sorry about the throw-ups. hang in there! g'night!

Melisa K. said...

Thanks, Rebecca! (PS the scavenger hunt is SO exciting. for me. I think the girls like it too.) =)