Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Day 2: Success

I don't want to brag, but I actually made it to the gym twice yesterday. Whoa. I know. I went to the 5:30 Tai Chi class even though I didn't really have the energy. (Sidenote: if I was hoping the change in schedule would boost my day time energy, it didn't. But I was no less energetic, either, and I did have more time, so I guess it's worthwhile in that regard.) I made myself go because I knew I couldn't put it off until next week, when I'll be on duty on Monday.

To be honest, it wasn't that great of a class. The instructor was good and it wasn't too hard to jump in and catch on. But...well...it's not aerobic...it's not stretchy or muscle-building...and it wasn't really meditative either. Maybe it becomes more so with practice. I can imagine the allure of doing it on a mountaintop or hillside at sunset. But in a tiny, dark room with a spinning class next door...it just didn't really do anything for me. But I'm glad I tried it. At least now I know.

Michael and I had time for a Date Night last night...and it was even his suggestion. We went to The Met for a delicious dinner (crab cake and seared scallops) and then went to the movie Date Night (apropos). I wasn't particularly excited to see it, but holy crap was it funny. I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. I actually snorted a few times. Good thing movie theaters are dark and anonymous. lol. I was in a great mood afterward, but by the time we got home, I was dead tired. It was such a sharp contrast. Weird. I was in bed and asleep by 11:30. DEAD asleep. I was shocked when my alarm went off at 6:00 this morning.

I turned it off and re-set it for 6:15. But then I knew it was a dangerous, slippery slope, so I just got up and went. It was cold out. I was still REALLY tired. But I went. All of my ellipticals were in use, so I had to use a different kind, but I got in nearly 3000 steps in my half-hour workout, so that was great. And I learned a lot more in my book...here's today's nugget: your waistline is an indicator of the amount of stress in your life, and how well you cope with it. There's complicated reasons behind that which I don't remember, but that really stood out to me. Chronic, low-level stress is really bad for your health. The authors went on and on about that for a lot of pages, so it really stuck with me. I can take a hint. I also learned that you are more inclined towards a heavier weight the older your mother was when she gave birth to you. Interesting. And, I'm just starting to learn about how bad french fries really are for you. It's a lot worse than just empty calories. But you probably already knew that. And, I did a few reps on the arms machine to get ready for my push-up test tonight. =)

I had oatmeal and blackberries for breakfast--very healthy start to the day.

But I'm still tired.

I'm just saying.

PS...I still only made it to 8500 steps yesterday...there's only been one day so far that I've hit the elusive 10k. Who knew how hard it would be?

No comments: