Thursday, March 18, 2010

Jeg vil sove!

I'm more than halfway through Chapter 4, and when I finish I'll be exactly halfway through my Danish lessons. A bit behind, considering we leave on Tuesday for vacation, but hopefully I can do a bunch on the plane. I do feel like I'm making good progress, but Erin was on to something: I'll need lots of practice actually speaking and listening because the Rosetta method gives a LOT of context clues and I'm not sure I'd do nearly as well without the little pictures telling me what I'm looking for. I learned longer sentences today though, about people (and cats) sleeping and being awake, have hands and eyes open and closed, standing together and apart, couples kissing, and some higher numbers as well. Those were (ironically) the hardest, as they don't seem to follow the same pattern as numbers 1-10. Tricky.

Not going to write much today because if I hurry I can still get 8 hours of sleep, which is a goal for tonight. But I should say that I had a moment today: I was trying to figure out what to accomplish tonight and in what order. And do you know what I did? I stopped and told myself: LIMITS. THREE things. And I did: learning Danish, unpacking my suitcase, and emptying the dishwasher. I did not clean the bathroom or the kitchen or put my ski stuff and suitcases back in storage or take a bath or go to the gym. Which were the other things initially on my agenda in my head.

I should be satisfied with accomplishing the three, but I'm not. I feel like I should have gone to the gym. But if I had gone at 9 pm, I would have been wired when I got back. I would have gotten more done but would definitely not have been able to go to sleep at a reasonable time.

I guess we'll see tomorrow morning if the tradeoff pays off. Meanwhile, as my title says (I hope): I'm going to sleep!

Godnat, sove godt!

1 comment:

runningwiththejig said...

Good job with the limits!

So apparently Oprah magazine is a month behind this blog- this month is all about relationships, and there was that article about being an emotional slut. I think next month it might be about learning Danish!