Wednesday, March 31, 2010

April Goals

Weekly goals for the month:
  • Get to the gym 3-4 times per week
  • Alternate days of push-ups and sit-ups, doing more each time than the time before (doing this on non-gym days could be a good goal)
  • Get out for more walks! Shoot for at least once a week...this can replace a gym visit.
  • Use a pedometer (already purchased!) and try to work up to 10,000-12,000 steps a day. (10,000 is considered a healthy "active", while 12,000 initiates and sustains weight loss.)
One-time goals for the month:
  • Try the following classes, at least once: Zumba Dance, spinning, Body pump, and Tai Chi
  • Get the Try Pack of 3 professional training sessions so I can feel more comfortable with weights especially (maybe then I'll get a small set for home use)
  • Read "Body for Life" and "You: On a Diet" so I can return them to the friends that lent them to me.
  • On the meditation front: read "How Not to Be Afraid of Your Own Life" by Susan Piver, and her blog.
  • Find some guided meditations online to try out.
  • Register for the August meditation retreat, even if I can't get anyone else to go with me.
And--continue working on Danish. Once I finish the 8 chapters, I can go back and do the speaking and writing exercises. Then, I can listen to the audio book part. And practice speaking/listening with Michael.

And, for the April Boston outing--finally visiting the Institute of Contemporary Art with Erin...and a meal nearby, of course.

That's a lot to do in one month, but the one-offs should be easy enough to tackle. Reading three heavy books might be hard to fit in, but I can skim if needed. I think I can do it, and I'm excited to try. If you have other suggestions (for exercise resources/goals, or meditation resources), please leave a comment!

2 comments:

Sarah Jackson said...

Here's a link to all of Tara Brach's awesome talks and meditations. Basically, just select the big talk to you'd want to hear. Start with the guided meditation they have right before it. Then listen to the talk afterward.

I'm here to help!

http://www.imcw.org/audio/audioarchives.html

Melisa K. said...

Thanks, Sarah--I'll check them out!