Sunday, March 7, 2010

Weekend? What weekend?


It's Sunday at 11:28 am and I'm sitting in the Admissions Office. I spent most of the day here yesterday, as well, writing personalized letters for our about-to-be-accepted students. And then doing a college counseling meeting. It was good that I went to see our dorm students in the Dance Concert on Friday night (after helping girls bake brownies to sell at the Dance Concert), because I was so fried yesterday that Michael let me go to sleep at 9:30 despite the fact that he was tired too, and someone had to do the curfew check-ins. Unfortunately, the girls weren't as concerned as Michael was and didn't really allow for sleep. Another night, I would have been heartened by the gaggles of giggling girls running up and down the stairs and through the hallways. I like to hear them be joyful. But not when I'm trying to pass out. I did finally fall asleep...only to be awakened at 3:00 am by a student who had locked herself out of her room. She lost her key a while ago and hasn't wanted to pay for a replacement. hmm. So much for sleep.

I'll be in admissions until it's time to meet with a student for college counseling at 6:30, which will leave me an hour until the boarding town meeting. An hour in which to either buy dorm snacks or eat dinner. Possibly both if I scarf something down at Wendy's, which is next to the grocery store. And CVS. Which is good, because my doctor has been concerned about my thyroid numbers and has changed my medication dosage and I haven't had time to pick it up for the last three days. Maybe tonight will be my lucky night. Thank god for 24 hour pharmacies.

Then we have the 10:00 super clean and birthday celebration. Finally, after the 11:00 check ins, I will fall into bed. Or do laundry. I think I may have reached the end of a very full underwear drawer. Maybe I can buy some at CVS. I didn't really just think that.

Weekend? What weekend?

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do the five hours of Danish this first week. I've done a little over 2 hours this week. To be fair, it took me a long time to get the program set up and working. And I know I do have some flights in March that will allow me to work for as long as my battery will last, at least. Which is about 1.5 hours these days. Sad, because I did have a five hour battery but it stopped working. And I don't want to invest in another because I need to get a new laptop soon. Part of the reason the Danish set up was so hard is that my disc drive keeps disappearing and becoming dysfunctional. Kind of like the rest of me.

Check out this email I sent to Michael on Friday (Honest--word for word)

Dearest Michael,

I apologize in advance for this weekend. It is going to suck rotten, pickled donkey balls. REALLY. For both of us.

Might I suggest thinking of OYa as prepayment?

Tonight I am around, so no problem there...though I will be totally freaked out. The dance concert is at 8 and a lot of our girls are in it, so at least one of us should go and try to videotape. I am happy to do that.

Tomorrow I will need to spend several hours in admissions writing letters. =/ I would anticipate this being after brunch until whenever I finish. At 4:30 I have a CC meeting, which I can do in the dorm and should finish in time to go to dinner. I think this means you are on tap for driving the Harvard Square run. Sorry.

Sunday, I need to be in the office from 10 am until 7 pm. We will be proofing, printing, collating, and stuffing letters all day and then I have a college meeting right before study hours. We are meant to be at the boarding town meeting at 8. I don’t know how I will eat dinner, exactly. Maybe I’ll be able to take a short break.

And then, after the town meeting on Sunday night, I will probably crumple into a ball. Either before or after celebrating the birthday at dorm meeting.

Oh yeah, we need to get snacks for dorm meetings too. Starbucks ice cream for one girl, dunkin donuts for another (should do this Tuesday though), and as yet unknown for the third .

Can you say something calming now, please?

Love,

Your high strung wife

And his response--

Don't worry about me, babe. I'll manage =) Focus on you staying sane, which I think we'll manage.

We'll just play it by ear, and see how it goes. Maybe we'll figure out to pick something up tonight that we can make for Sunday so you can get some food =)

Hang in there, this too shall pass. Don't ruin tonight by worrying, it is what it is and you should recharge as best you can tonight.

<3

How much do we love him? (I can say that in Danish, too!)

I am already hungry. And we haven't even started signing letters yet. Let alone alphabetizing, collating, proofing, folding, stuffing, or stamping.

I suspect this is going to be a very, very long day. Better get back to work.

No comments: