Wednesday, January 13, 2010

And he hardly ever rolls his eyes at my organizational logic, which is kind.

Phew. That was a close one. It was another hard and long and busy day at work, and by the time 4:00 rolled around, I couldn't resist the urge to curl up under my cozy blanket and give in to a little nap. Of course, I was awakened 5 times by various text messages. (You think I'd learn!)

I finally pulled myself out of bed around 5:45, knowing that it was the only chance I had at de-cluttering something. Which is when Michael and Gina walked in.

Luckily, we decided to go work out before dinner--smart move--even though we were pretty ravenous. Wednesday is free bring a friend to the gym day, and if it weren't for Gina agreeing to come, I probably wouldn't have made it. (I really need to work on self-motivation!) When I go regularly, it's not hard to keep going, but since I hadn't been since last Thursday's painful pilates class, the effort to go today seemed monumental. Afterward, we took a dip in the hot tub, and then picked Michael up and headed to Naked Fish (where we ate a mostly healthy meal).

We didn't get back until 9:30 (where does the time go?!?) and I didn't think I had it in me to do any de-cluttering. But I told you all I would, and I already wasted my two "free" days this week...so I picked the snack/coat/hardware/Michael's work shirt closet by the front door. (Our apartment is small and has only two closets, so they have to serve many functions.) It looked daunting, but only actually took about 20-30 minutes. The hardest part? Getting rid of the Betty Crocker Instant Dessert bowls. mmmm. I love those things. But they really don't fit into our healthier diet. And they had a "best by" 2007 date on them. How they survived in my closet that long, I don't know. Oh wait. It's because they were well hidden under a bunch of crap. =)

Before:


















After:


















So I've gotten a start on the hallway, and I'm back on the de-cluttering train as well as the exercise wagon. Unfortunately, I never did get to folding that laundry Michael did for me on Sunday (which means it will all look like it came out of a cow's ass now) and I haven't cleaned the kitchen or bathroom floors yet. But once I do--the front half of the house will be really done! And--more good news--we've actually kept everything clean and organized so far. Michael doesn't really know where everything is or where it's supposed to go, but he's a good sport about asking.

And he hardly ever rolls his eyes at my organizational logic, which is kind.

Oh! And I wanted to share this article I found with Clutter Busting Tips from the Pros, because a lot of them really seem to be working.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ha ha! Was that shelf in there the whole time?
- Alexis

Melisa K. said...

yes, yes, it was.